Tips for Successful Transitions Back to School
Our school-based staff are excited to welcome students back to the classroom as we prepare to kick off the 2023-24 school year. We understand that going back to school can be stressful for some students, so if you are a parent or guardian sending a child back to school this year, follow these tips provided by our team to help alleviate some of that stress.
1. Help your child name their feelings, which can validate what they are experiencing.
2. Get down to their level, and let them know you are listening and are there to support them. You can never listen too much!
3. Remember that how they feel is valid. Avoid saying things like, “You shouldn’t feel nervous.” Instead, “I understand you are scared right now and I’m here for you.”
4. Use a lot of positive reinforcement and praise.
5. Model behaviors for your child. Often, they aren’t aware of their behavior or what they should do.
For more exciting updates, career opportunities, interesting stories and ways to support Tri-County delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter that is distributed every other month.